How to use these documents:
Our engineering drawings are detailed enough to show individual fasteners and any special requirements (such as where to apply thread locker) but overall assembly procedure and order is not necessarily obvious. These documents are therefore provided in conjunction with the engineering drawings that are included in your kit. They are meant to point out tips and important details and aid you in your overall assembly process.
For both the Reprap and Pro branches of the OpenBeam Kossel, the overall assembly process is as follows:
1) Assemble the lower triangle, populating in all fasteners that are needed for electronics, wire routing and future expansion. Not sure about future expansion? Add a few extra nuts into each of the slots, then use small set screws to tighten the nuts down to stop them from rattling if it bothers you. It'll be a lot easier than dis assembly down the road.
2) Assemble the linear drive towers.
3) Assemble the upper triangle and, in the case of the Pro branch, the separate belt tension idlers.
4) Assemble the end effector.
5) Assemble the machine by mounting the upper triangle, then running the belts and tensioning them. Attach the swing arms, and end effector. Mount the extruder and bowden feed tube.
6) Power up the system and verify functionality:
- Home all axis to ensure that the motors / end stops are wiring correctly and functioning.
- Home each axis independently (after the initial home to top of the machine!) to verify that the X, Y and Z axis placement relative to the "Front" of the machine is correct.
- Verify fan functionality on end effector.
- Power up hot end and verify that hot end can maintain extrusion temperature.
- Power up heated bed (if equipped) and verify that heated bed can maintain temperature.\
7) Perform the rest of the system calibration procedure:
- Test extruder for E-Step calibration - extrude a known amount of filament and measure what is actually extruded vs what the commanded extrusion amount was. Alter the value in firmware until the two numbers agree.
- Test extrude, this time through hot end, to verify material feed.
- Manually deploy automated bed probe and verify that firmware sees the bed probe.
- Execute G29 auto-levelling command.
- Verify that G29 sets the correct offset of the print bed height off the surface of the probe.
- Start a print!
Ready? Let's begin!
The Lower Triangle houses the